"Expert" said we hit bottom

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 Leave a Comment

I still remember a little over a year and a half ago when I was still working for a very big bank, I was sitting at an office lobby for a business appointment. While I sat there checking my numbers on my PDA, I was also watching the news on a plasma tv they had in the lobby. A so called expert on the news made a bold statement saying, "we have hit the bottom and it's only going to go up from here." He made that statement because the DOW bounced back and had a gain of about 200 points that day.

I remember laughing at that guy the next morning as I was getting dress for work as I saw the market drop at the opening bell. I said to myself, "expert! riiight." The market has dropped even more since and things are a lot worse than many had expected. So that so called expert was dead wrong.

Now, I'm not questioning his intelligence at all. He was referred to as an expert surely due to his high level of education and very successful career. But still, his "expert" opinion was absolutely wrong. After days of huge losses in the market, he finally saw a big rebound and proclaimed the market to be on it's way up. He did what the people who make up the college polls do every season after every game - he reacted.

Now all these so called football "experts" say one team is the best. Then they get blown out and just like that their entire opinion of that team completely changes? Penn State who they were ready to send to the National Championship game all the sudden gets dropped? USC who they all proclaim to be the best team in the nation is all the sudden not even worthy of being the 4th or 5th best? Remember how before the season started all these "experts" said Georgia is the absolute best team in the country. Well what happened? What's their ranking now? 13th? Well gee whiz I can understand a small boo boo but you're way off.

This is why I laugh at the guys on the news who make a new prediction each and everyday. This is also why I can't take these weekly polls in college football seriously. It's just their latest reaction to what happened. All their logic and reasoning from the week before that they put their reputation in the line for just completely goes out the window.

What I really hate is when they say USC will probably beat anyone, but they can't vote them that high because the Sooners lost to the Longhorns and the Trojans lost to the BEAVERS! Riiiiight.

0 comments »