Makings of a Bad Day

Saturday, September 19, 2009 Leave a Comment


The power went out in the middle of the night. My alarm clock is blinking 3:05am but it's really 7:30am. I'm an hour drive from work that starts at 8 am sharp, and I'm a slow dresser. I rush and get to the office only to realize I left my laptop at home. I managed fine by quickly remaking my PowerPoint presentation at the office. I already knew what to put on my slides, but will just have to live without the fancy transitions and pictures I made the night before. I didn't lose my job, my manager still thinks I'm one of the best, but now when I walk by my co-workers new office after he got promoted I wonder what could have been.

USC has had some huge disappointments the past few seasons that has cost them a shot at the National Championship. What those losses all had in common is that they were an absolute shocker. When Vegas is surprised, you know it was completely unexpected. Today's loss against Washington is just as disappointing, but you can almost see it coming. USC had all the makings of a bad day.

It started when Steve Sarkisian and Nick Holt left town with USC's offensive and defensive playbooks along with the knowledge of all of Pete Carroll's style and game time tendencies. Matt Barkley, the freshman phenom, injures his shoulder the week before. Safety, Taylor Mays, hurts his knee and sits out as well. It definitely looked like it can be ugly. Trojan fans all know it, but just didn't want to admit it. I didn't want to give in to that notion as well.

A team who could not win a game last year may have just ended Pete Carroll's hopes of a National Championship with this win. It definitely had the makings of a bad game, a bad day, and what looks to be a bad year.

Game notes:

Aaron Corp is the first QB in the Pete Carroll era to lose a game in his first start.

Joe Mcknight is now averaging 1 fumble per game this season.

Mitch Mustain was seen warming up in the second half, but Pete as always didn't give up on his QB.

0 comments »