National Signing Day

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 Leave a Comment

Pete did a great job and put together a good looking class. Sadly, it could've been so much better. Landing Manti Te'o would have made good become great. It's like getting 5 out of the 6 numbers on the lottery. We still get a big payout, but getting just one more number would've really made us feel like we hit a huge jackpot.

It's really quite a surprise to many that Te'o chose Notre Dame over USC. I would've been less surprised if he picked UCLA because of the Norm Chow connection and being close to Hawaii. Notre Dame??? Coached by Weiss? The school that takes highly touted and talented high school kids that don't develop in to NFL players. For these high school football stars, isn't the NFL the primary goal?

Usually when a high profile player passes up USC it's because of fear of competition. They're afraid they wont get enough playing time. In some cases it's because they're afraid they'll have a hard time with school. Some don't want to be too far from home. So again.. Why Notre Dame?

USC needs linebackers. Manti Te'o would have played for sure during his freshman year. So it's not playing time. I would academics is equally challenging if not more challenging at Notre Dame. So it can't be that. USC is much closer to home while Notre Dame is thousands of miles away.

It just really makes no sense to me. USC just had three of its linebackers impress NFL teams during the Senior Bowl. Pete prepares his players for the NFL - from 5 star prospects to walk ons. Just for that fact I was sure Manti was coming, but I guess everyone sees things their own way. Everyone has their own preference. Manti Te'o picking the Irish over the Trojans may not make any sense to us, but I guess it makes enough sense to him.

So I saw a Toyota Echo on the freeway today. In my mind, it's the ugliest car I've ever seen on the road. Well the person driving it thought it was nice, and Manti Te'o thinks Notre Dame is nice. Go figure

1 comments »

  • mai said:  

    I'm from Hawaii and also a USC fan but I didn't want Manti Teo to sign with the Trojans for several reasons. The on that stands out to me is, he's not as good as everyone thinks. The problem with recruiting linebackers out of Hawaii is they can't cover. They never learn how to because the offensive schemes in Hawaii are so run happy. Linebackers in Hawaii just plug holes they don't drop back. Don't get me wrong Manti has great closing speed, in Hawaii, but having grown up here and also having played against guys from the mainland I know that there is a big difference in speed and quickness. He looked average in the games that he played against guys from the mainland. The kid IS good but not as good as everyone has made him out to be.