Football, Boxing, and Chatta who? ga?

Sunday, September 7, 2008 Leave a Comment

After watching some game tapes from this Saturday's football games, I found myself thinking of a completely different sport - boxing. I watched some of these highly ranked, best "pound for pound" teams playing who??? Central Michigan? Chattanooga? Florida Atlantic? West Virginia who??? (That's right Wolverine Fans)

I'm not saying that Georgia is weak. Nor am I questioning the talent of Florida, Missouri, Ohio State, and these other top caliber teams. I'm just tired of watching them play these weak teams. It's like the world of boxing and watching supposed great fighters avoiding boxers that can actually fight back so they can finish their career with a 42-0-3 record with 32 KOs. Did Floyd Mayweather's promoter book Oklahoma's season opener this year? Every boxer wants to end their career with a great record. Every football team in the nation wants to do the same so they can come out on top of the rankings at the end of the season. But who did you fight to get there? This is why we question some boxer's careers. Who did they really fight? Who's Chattanooga?

This is why USC is so great. They'll go toe to toe with anyone. Anywhere. They don't have an Athletic Director(Promoter) who just sets up easy fights. That's why USC jumped up to #1. They beat up a big program school on the road, while Georgia and Ohio State played I-AA schools. They might as well have scheduled a game against the local community college.

I'm really not questioning the talent of these schools. I'm not saying they don't deserve their high ranking. I just don't want to have to break out the map to figure out where some of the schools they're playing came from. I just want to know that they played the best available. At the end of the season, I just don't want to be left unsatisfied asking the question, "Well who did you really fight?"

Well I guess it is always fun to see the Appalachian States of this world pull huge upsets. But seriously. Chatta who??? ga??

0 comments »